Every ’90s kid has a soft spot for the MTV VMA’s. We’ve been watching it for more than a decade and let’s face it, we still love it. MTV hasn’t been about that music life for over twenty years now. So the overused quip “Doesn’t the M stand for music?” is no longer the focus for milennials and the rest. That’s because it’s not about the music video any longer. That’s only a part of the larger pop puzzle. There’s so many factors that go into fan appeal these days: followers, brazilian butt lifts, naked pics and more. Truthfully, thank Yeezus for the VMAs. We get to see all the new factors at play in one arena. Here are our top 5 VMA moments!!
5. The Weeknd’s “I Can’t Feel My Face” Performance was on fire! The T-Dot singer got things turnt and the fans were all about it. Everyone in the crowd sang along to his hit single, including Taylor Swift and Kanye West, who were both out of their seats dancing and living it up.
4. Justin Bieber! He is all grown up and making a statement. Sometimes we can forget that Bieber’s an artist. We were reminded of his raw talent on the VMA stage tonight. Amid the futuristic lighting design, the pop singer performed his killer hit “Where Are You Now” and his brand new single “What Do You Mean.” With these two songs, Bieber proved he was back and ready to roll. After his performance the Biebs was clearly overwhelemed with emotion, which made for a touching moment as he broke down in tears. Miley immediately found a way to ruin the moment with her innapropriate come-on, saying “call me when you’re legal.” The Biebs tearing up after such an amazing performance made us love him even more!
3. Bro! Kanye’s Video Vanguard Rant. First, we were treated to a brief documentary set to his “Runaway” single with a magnetic mantra of Yeezus understanding, read by Samuel L. Jackson. “If his honesty creates chaos it doesn’t make him wrong it makes him human.” This really set an inspirational tone for all artists and their form of expression, and truth be told “we have to fight for our visionaries.” What juxtaposed Kanye’s shine was Taylor Swift‘s playful introduction. It made us think about how much Kanye has been hated and loved and hated some more; yet he continues to rise above it all. Swift mentioned West’s first record “College Dropout” as the first album she and her brother ever purchased on iTunes. She went on to applaud his creative expertise by highlighting his passion, drive and dedication in all his pursuits. His speech was laden with many unformed ideas, yet some powerful overtones. What struck us while watching was his overt dislike of award shows. His perspective on this was interesting, asking us to ponder the very idea of awards. A place where people’s creative works are pitted against each other. Leaving us to ponder this brave insight. One thing we are excited for is Kanye’s presidential campaign in 2020! Whoa. A presidential candidate never dressed so fresh.
2. Nicki Minaj and Miley Cyrus got a little hifey on stage. You’d think they would be friends, seeing that their artistry shares similarities in style and sexuality. However, after Miley’s recent interview with the New York Times, Minaj wasn’t going to let Miley’s comments slide. Minaj started her speech on a positive note:
“I wanna thank my beautiful fans,” she said. “I love you so much. You guys are so epic and I hope you follow your dreams.”
But then, “Back to this bitch that had a lot to say about me the other day in the press; Miley, what’s good?”
To which Cyrus, seeming annoyed responded, “Hey, we’re all in this industry, we all do interviews and we all know how they manipulate sh-t. Nicki, congratulations.”
Minaj has been stewing over Cyrus’ New York Times interview in which she spoke about Minaj’s recent Twitter war with Taylor Swift. What do you think about Cyrus’ comments?
“What I read sounded very Nicki Minaj, which, if you know Nicki Minaj is not too kind,” she said. “It’s not very polite. I think there’s a way you speak to people with openness and love. You don’t have to start this pop star against pop star war. It became Nicki Minaj and Taylor in a fight, so now the story isn’t even on what you wanted it to be about. Now you’ve just given E! News ’Catfight! Taylor and Nicki Go at It.’” – Cyrus said.
After the spat Minaj tweeted:
1. To be fair, Minaj wasn’t all about the beef for the evening. The rapper opened the show with a dazzling performance of her wildfire hit single “Trini Dem Girls.” After the rapper’s introductory performance, Taylor Swift joined her on stage, which put a public end to their very recent Twitter squabbles. Swift sang/lipsynched to her hit “Bad Blood,” which showed just how easy it is to forgive in the world of celebrity. Does that mean there’s hope for a Nicki and Miley collabo? We’ll have to see what happens at next year’s show!
Check out Kanye’s full VMA rant where he says gems like “I will die for the art and what I believe in” as well his disclosure that he smoked a joint before his epic acceptance speech. Gotta love Yeezy bro!